I know winter has gone. So it can be surprising when colds come on just when you thought you were safe! But actually, the change of the season is when it happens most. So arm yourself. This time or next time, you'll be ready! I really want to share this recipe with you. But you have to PROMISE ME you're going to read the warnings first! They're IMPORTANT!
- DO NOT use Eucalyptus by mistake. It is POISONOUS. If you can't tell your trees, don't make this tea! Or ask a plant expert friend to show you a bay tree.
- SIP IT CAREFULLY! It can give you a wasabi like burn in your head if you drink it too fast, and the reaction can be delayed. So sip slowly until you're familiar with your beverage.
Now onto the recipe!
- 10-15 Fresh Bay Leaves from a tree near you
- DON'T use the leaves in the little jar in your cupboard. Mediterranean bay leaf, that most people cook with, is not the same!
- Take the leaves off the stems, wash them and make sure there are no bugs on them.
- Put them in a pot with 3-4 cups water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 3-5 minutes.
While it is coming to a boil, the scent will be strongest and you can inhale it. THAT'S THE TIME TO BE MOST CAREFUL! Again, the burn can be DELAYED so breathe slowly at first and take your time. The longer you boil it, the softer the burn will get. It is still effective though. I use this every time I start getting a sniffle. Have I mentioned that I'm allergic to antibiotics? And now it seems I'm allergic to Chinese medicine too? So thanks to Bay Leaves, I've been well for about 1.5 years now. Woohoo!